Saturday, September 24, 2011

Have the changes made schooling better?

I grew up in the dark ages, according to modern educators. When I went through training to become a teacher, I was repeatedly told but the PhDs who were younger than my Master's degree that we didn't DO math the way I was taught it. And I have tried this new-fangled way. And I do not like it.

I read David Andrade express pretty much the same thing on his blog. Students are not learning the math and the Dark Ages scored much higher than current students.

And then I saw Joanne Jacobs weigh in on how math should be taught.She quotes from this article.

And then Ste at Live Long and Prosper weighed in on SAT scores.

I just find it all depressing.

The kids are not stupid but they refuse to just learn things as I did. Now, not everyone that I went to school DID school but it seems like a higher percentage did. Tomorrow we have another standardized test and on Tuesday I will lose my planning to justify my grades. In theory we are increasing rigor this year but, since they have announced Tuesday's meeting, I am guessing we are expected to increase rigor and keep grades up. And how does one do that?

No comments: