Saturday, May 21, 2011

Six Word Saturday



I can't do this by myself.

OR

It's not my problem to fix.



For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

I tried to review this week because we are close to the end. I tried to come up with things to raise their grades, because they wouldn't do the previous choices (which were chosen because they were valid).

This is what I learned:
1) I was teaching something and told them how to do it "by hand". "How do I enter it into the calculator?" It isn't difficult to do by hand, and I do not know how to do it in a calculator, so I said "I don't know." And the winning response to asking her to work? "That's not fair!" She is a senior and about to find out a lot of things are not fair.

2) I tried to review, they want games. So I let them come up with the review. (And I picked a valid way to do it.) They didn't come to school, didn't stop talking. They were as rude to each other as they are to me. And I am trying to pass them along, not because they are brilliant and know this stuff, because they don't - but because I know they will do less if they are repeaters.

3) Gave another group of failing students the option of recovering via the computer - could not keep them on task or in the room.

4) On the bright side, the ones who are low performers who have had me for more than a semester, seem to have figured out how I work and are stepping up to the plate.

I read this about millenials in the workplace. Maybe I just don't throw enough parties?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You sound like an angel - a teacher who truly cares about her students and should be greatly valued by parents like myself for the effort you put into your students.

Enjoy the summer break

vivinfrance said...

There's another month and a bit before the end of the UK and French school years. Do you have to start again in August?

I taught a couple of classes of so-called 'no-hopers' in Seychelles, but they were polite, motivated and they listened: hence they all passed their international exams with good grades. Your students sound like very hard work.

21 Wits said...

Sometimes, it's good to ask for help! ;)

21 Wits said...

Sometimes, it's good to ask for help! ;)

Ron. said...

We can't do ANYthing by ourselves.

Ricochet said...

Karen, who am I to ask for help from? The kids - they do not see that they have a problem. The parents? They have WONDERFUL children and NO COMPLAINTS from other teachers (I know this to be a lie) so it MUST be my problem. The administration? If were a better teacher these children would not misbehave. Did I mention I have 5 current students sitting in jail right now. How did I mess THAT up? God? Sometimes the answer is NO.

Becca said...

I am impressed with how much work you put in to your students!

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

I heard that "no fair," and "you're so mean," so many times when I wouldn't do the work for them. Just keep being unfair.

Unknown said...

Yes, very thought provoking post! A teacher can only do so much - students need to take responsibility for their own learning too.

Self Sagacity said...

I always thought students deserve a second chance for many reasons. Glad you're so kind to them.

Come & Play: Thursday Two Questions

Susan in SC said...

Was this just a particularly bad grouping of students? I hope so. I can't imagine trying to teach like that to every class every day every year. Hang in there, just a few more days until summer!