Thursday, May 5, 2011

Is it any wonder

When you have 1 in 7 receiving food stamps (it's 2 out of 11 in Georgia) and 51% of households paying no income tax is it any wonder that students come to school expecting that their teachers will provide the material for other teacher's projects? Today I was asked for index cards for a history study guide. I have been asked for glue, tape, poster board, construction paper - a jacket (that one was a surprise).

And when it gets to a point that students feel entitled to MY stuff - things I buy to teach my classes - is it any wonder they feel entitled to use my class as a study hall - or social hall?

How did it get this way?

5 comments:

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

The chickens come home to roost when these kids go to college, even community college, and must pay for books, paper, even computer time.

The Fat Chick said...

I kinda think it began happening when they took prayer out of school. Just seems to me that it's all gone downhill since.

laniza said...

Oh my goodness--one of my students recently interrupted my class to ask me for cardboard for a science project. I teach ELA so immediately I say "No I don't. What kind of question is that?" and got back to teaching. What are we doing to do?!

Ricochet said...

I had one interrupt a review to ask if I thought it was odd that a woman develop muscles lifting weights. I went back to teaching saying I thought it was REALLY odd that someone would interrupt the review for an important test to ask about suck meaningless drivel.

Ricochet said...

That should say such not suck - but maybe I was right the first time.