Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Random Thoughts

* Student asked me to get him a pencil. I told him they were on the desk, and kept walking. Two minutes later, he asks for a pencil again. (Actually, he said he needed a pencil). I said I'm sure he did, but they are still on the desk. Where do they get the idea that I went to school to wait on them? (BTW, go get a pencil from the desk has been the rule since August.)

* Student bangs on the door. And again. And again. And again. And again. The kids (who have tried to get up to answer it but I wouldn't let them) have been yelling "It's not locked." Student bangs again. I open the door to a snotty "I KNOCKED on the door!" So I jiggled the handle to show it had not been locked. I will not miss that one.

* Six students - seniors - owe me work and didn't show for the final. Don't get it.

* I have a pass rate of 3 times what I have had in the past. Sounds impressive until you realize the past rate was about 12%. Not bad for teaching a group that never listens.

* This year has been difficult. I hope next year is better.

* An adult comes in to borrow a printer while I am on the computer. I said 1) I am fixing an exam for tomorrow 2) I am in the middle of something 3) Can it wait - while the adult kept insisting that I let her print something. Then she says - just tell me if I am a pain in the butt. I thought I did.

* The seniors have been coming by to say goodbye. It occurred to me, listening to the kind things they said, that the teacher those students saw is not the one my horrid class sees. But, to be honest, I don't see the horrid students the same way I have seen students in the past. It isn't every class or every student this year, but it is a lot of them.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

My kids won't get out of their seats to get the calculator I drag to class in a big, heavy bag. They all feel entitlement.

Ricochet said...

I'd say "must be nice" but I wouldn't want to live like they do - in their idiocy.

I said to one "bring a book tomorrow" and another said "why, she'll have her cell phone." Sigh.