Sunday, February 6, 2011

You call home and you learn too much

I was calling home to discuss grades and behaviors. As usual, I learn more than I want to know. If I feel over whelmed, I can only imagine what the kids feel. And I don't know how to help them learn the math with their life going on.

^ A girl acts out so is in ISS or OSS constantly. She has mentioned dropping out to get a GED. Her parents are divorced and still fighting and undermining each other - with the girl as the weapon they use to hurt each other.

* Another acts very immature, demanding passes out of my class for the library, the nurse, you name it. Her brother is in jail for the third time in a year - this time for assault.

* A boy was very aggravated Friday - turns out his 18 year old brother has been arrested for sexual assault on a minor - a girl a year too young, according to the law, but not the girl.

* Two girls were fighting in my class (except it was an act as they seem to be good friends) - again, divorce at home.

Throw in the usual learning disabilities, job and home loss, a pregnancy, Asperger's. I am overwhelmed with wondering how I am to teach them all.

1 comment:

Pissedoffteacher said...

You mean you can't? Maybe you are in the wrong field. The posting for your job should have super powers listed as a requirement and I don't recall you mentioning you had those.