Saturday, February 26, 2011

Time management

What happens when you hit that point that you cannot possibly do everything that everyone wants you to do?

Between the nonsense paperwork that the principal wants (and it must be nonsense because he doesn't bother to read it until he wants you to spend even more time on it),he papers that students turn in without trying to do the work, calls to parents asking for help to get their darlings to do the work (except, wait, it isn;t the darling that is the issue, it is the teacher. I must have a problem as no one else calls), and trying to make sense of a curriculum that is all over the place, I am going nuts.

I have all these great ideas to help them learn, and no time to implement it.

Did I mention the graduation tests some haven't passed that I cannot get them to do anything about?

I have APs who don't do their job - or actively undermine mine - so that I have that much more trouble in the classroom.

And somehow I have to keep kids old enough to drive (read, old enough to handle a 2000 pound weapon hurtling down the street at 60 mpg) from throwing things at each other while I try to teach...

Not everyone belongs in high school and we have reached a point in society that some who do not want to be there should be allowed to go elsewhere.

If I spent a summer actively learning something else, I bet I could get a job people would value by fall.

Which is when I realized that the bully has no power over me. Want my job? Here.

3 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Don't want yours or mine anymore, sorry.

Ricochet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Phillie Teacher said...

Not everyone belongs in high school and we have reached a point in society that some who do not want to be there should be allowed to go elsewhere.

I have a student who disappears for weeks at a time but shows up just in time to prevent being dropped from our rolls.

He is horrible. He manhandles the girls, roams around the classroom, does no work and is 17 years old. As they say on Facebook, "wtf?"

I called his mother who told me he used to be on the honor roll. I can only imagine that was back in 4th grade. I wish he would go somewhere else. Even better - he goes somewhere that makes him happy and productive.