Saturday, February 12, 2011

Six Word Saturday



God trips: trying to reach you?



For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

I just finished reading Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (author of Seabiscuit). In it Louie Zamperini talks about times in his life where he felt God was tripping him in order to get his attention. I feel like that as well but I usually feel like He has to whack me with a 2X4 to get my attention.

This has been a hard year for everyone in the school. The reasons why are beyond my control, but my response has to be within my control. As awful as I think the kids are, they have never done anything to me close to what they do to other teachers. [threaten to slash tires, make not-so-veiled threats on the boards with really foul language,get physically violent] [mine just tell me I can't teach and that they will fail the class. I ask them to stop talking and tell them we both have the same goal: that they learn the mathematics and pass my class. And I tell them I believe everyone can learn math.] I have to improve my response to them in hopes to be able to teach them.

The book is a hard read - well written but the subject covers plane wreck, death, lost in the Pacific and brutal Japanese prison camps which makes the going rough. I thought it was well worth reading.

4 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Your kids sound so much like mine it's scary!

Linda said...

Teachers have a hard job these days.

Keep on keepin' on.

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Call Me Cate said...

I do believe some of our tripping in life is a stumble designed to slow us down, make us more aware of what's around us. Things sound rough at school but I'm glad you keep trying to teach them.

Thanks for playing 6WS!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

try your best,
leave it to God and rest.