Sunday, February 20, 2011

The 10% equation

Somehow this class assumes that if they pay attention 10% of the time, they should get As. I have had them ask "How hard is the test - I paid attention for the past 15 minutes."

Isn't that special?

Or they say "How can you ask us to think when you've been spoon feeding us the answers all along?" Seriously. One of them said that.

Or (when I taught about social security this past week and mentioned that the fund is no longer sustainable) one of the little darlings preceded to argue that it ISN'T going broke because his mama and his daddy are paying into it - in fact everyone he knows is paying into it so I am lying. Can't argue with that logic.

I cannot get them to follow the simple instructions of stop talking, face forward, try. Instead they talk, sleep, put on their makeup. Get pissy when I ask them to work - and then announce that I am a lousy teacher and cannot teach.

I cannot teach them.

I remember one of my classes was like this last semester - but I think this group is worse. And I am not succeeding in anything.

But, then, on the last test the errors were arithmetic. You know, 2 + 5 = 8 kind of thing.

But it's nice how they think they can dictate how I spend my time and my money......

1 comment:

A Phillie Teacher said...

>Instead they talk, sleep, put on their makeup. Get pissy when I ask them to work - and then announce that I am a lousy teacher and cannot teach.

Yep, That's me too. And there are so many of us out here. Absolutely scary.