Thursday, April 11, 2013

The new culture **edited**

I have had some time the past couple of weeks to really reflect on this year's teaching (not up to my standards) and trying to figure out why. And the best I can come up with is that I have students in every single class who are not there to learn. And while it has always been true (that there are students who choose to not learn), this is the first year that I have felt like they are a pack and I am the prey.

Now, I don't back down and I don't give in, but they sure feel like a circling pack of wolves. "We got Mrs. So-and-so fired last year. (they did not) You need to be careful."

It is a hostile work environment.

I am not the only one they are doing this to. The administration has been told. They think we are making too much of this. Writing up the behavior does no good.

Why is no one recognizing how behavior like that adversely affects the learning environment?

On a positive note, I have some outstanding students as well this year - they tend to get left behind. They are learning and growing and will leave the predators behind within a year or so.

edited to add this:

I get so tired about hearing about the plight of teachers. Granted, teachers work hard and have guidelines to follow and heaven knows that dealing with parents and administrators can be a nightmare. BUT, these things are known before they choose to go into teaching, it's no huge surprise to anyone and if it is, then maybe you haven't done your homework. Anyone going into the teaching profession has to do it because they want to, to make a difference. If you're looking to be appreciated and to get rich, it's probably not going to happen.

A lot of people with important and very needed jobs are unappreciated and in their opinion, underpaid. Teachers aren't in this boat alone. If you don't want to be a teacher, then don't be one. But don't complain after you get there, you knew the job was dangerous when you took it.


Read that last sentence again: "you knew the job was dangerous when you took it." Why is this tolerated? Get the kids out who are making it dangerous and teaching would be everything we want it to be.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Teaching is not supposed to be a dangerous job. This person has a couple of lose screws.

Ricochet said...

But it is telling. This is a parent from the area I teach in. I read that and understand why kids do nothing and tell me it's my job to teach them - as if they have nothing invested in their education.