Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lessson

I was teaching transformations of graphs last week and tried something a little different. I taught a standard lesson first (graphs with various equations showing how the changes in the equations change the graphs). Then I did the same thing, with the students copying the parent graphs onto patty paper (the waxed papers grocery stores put between hamburger patties - a cheap manipulative). Then, I did the SAME thing, with the kids in groups and each group was given an overhead sheet printed with a parent graph. The overhead sheet had 2 equations written on it [like a parent graph of f(x) = x and the two changes would be g(x) = 2x and h(x) = 2x + 3]. They had to show a t-chart with 5 points and then graph each equation - and explain it to the class.

I give a test next week and we will see what they learned.

No comments: