Monday, March 23, 2009

Counting the Days - OOPS

I have a student who has done nothing, nada, zilch, bupkis this semester. He has been counting the days until he is old enough to drop out, stay home, sleep late. He has rudely told me my class is a waste of time and other opinions he has of me. I am so glad my opinion of me is independent of what I am called every day.

I passed out progress reports today, so that the kids know what they have and that they 8 days before report cards are printed, so they can raise there grade. Birthday boy laughed at his grade (it was a single digit). Turns out - he can't drop out because of his behavior, the court, probation, and what not.

We went out in the hall. (I have no indoor voice and some things are private) I told him that he been treating my class like a waystation while he was waiting to drop out. Now that he can't drop out, would he like to raise his grade by working? Yes. And he grinned at me!

He patted me on the shoulder later walking by in the hall. I live for these small but valuable moments. Hallaleluljah!!

1 comment:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Small moments can make a big difference in a teacher's life. I'm glad this kid finally saw the light!