Saturday, August 6, 2011

Six Word Saturday



Reinventing myself for the new year.



For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

The article I posted about here has really caused me to rethink my postings on this page. I won't be going public because I have been a little catty in some of the things I have said. And probably will say again.

My goal for this year is to not pick on the kids so much. I changed my first day delivery and the week has been wonderful. A little talking (expect that), a few forgetting on Friday what you said on Wednesday and Thursday (expect that) but generally more willingness to follow the rules.

The kids in first do not all say the pledge but this year they are standing and being quiet.

I want to keep that. And some of it is showing respect - and some of it is that article I have mentioned that is haunting me. Have I laughed at their misfortune?

Adults? They are fair game. The "absents" teacher will not be able to help herself and I will be ratting her out. The completely unprofessional teacher as well.

I think I was clearer in my goals. I did two things differently that I want to sustain. And share.

1) Had each student fill out one side of a small index card with their name, what they are interested in. On the other side, in sharpie, I wrote their name large enough to see - so I have six decks of cards. I will shuffle those and that is what I will use to randomly select students to work on the board, answer questions, etc.

2) We do not have books in math. I can still teach - it means I invent or borrow whatever I use. This also means there is no book for the kids to take home. So, this year I am numbering the worksheets as I hand them out - we are creating our own book.

I know elementary does this sort of thing. I could not imagine doing this in HS but cannot see another way to provide one.

8 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

A longer post will follow sometime this weekend, but I am re-inventing myself too. I have no choice. It is being thrust upon me. Good luck to both of us!

Unknown said...

Re-invention or just improving on what you are?

Good luck with it

Teacha said...

i like your reinvention! we all have to do it each year. I am going to duplicate, your card trick. I was going to use popsicle sticks in a jar, but the cards are much easier. Thanks for the wonderful ideas. Rock on sista!

Ricochet said...

I got the card trick from a friend who got it from another teacher. I have already told the students it is my "random number generator" and what I will be using it for.

You can also use it to call on one who needs to be called on, even if that isn't the name on top - just hide the card (sneaky).

Buzzed Sweetness said...

I can do with reinventing myself

http://sensualride.blogspot.com/2011/08/six-word-saturday.html

GarageBandFan said...

good job on what you are attempting to achieve. I love the idea of creating your own books, I am not in the teaching field, but I have always been interested in it, ever since fourth grade! Sounds like you are doing a great job1

Kasi said...

Hope the year goes great! (Found your blog from Six Word Saturday)

SMiller said...

My "New Teacher Orientation" a few years ago was a pretty forgettable experience, but one line that one of the trainers said has stuck with me ever since:

"Remember that these parents are sending us the best kids they have."