Saturday, February 28, 2009

Getting them to write

A teacher in our school - who teaches Calculus - has his AP kids do the following to study for the AP exam. They are to create a notebook and on each page, define a concept (he provides them with a list of about 100) and give an example. Then, because this is an AP class, he asks them to provide a theme for the notebook that tells him something about the student.

I have been noodling this around for a couple of weeks, trying to figure out how to use this with my students and their end of course test. I have been doing a notebook with them, but I provide the notes and they copy. I have finally decided to do the same thing as Mr. Calculus, with a couple of changes. I will provide them with a list. They are to write a concept per page, define it, provide the steps and give an example. (They can intersperse the steps with the example if tht is easier for them) This will be an optional activity (as I can guarantee they won't all do this) and will replace their lowest test grade.

I have spoken with the math teachers I support - they are willing to let it replace their lowest test grade as well.

I am hoping this will help them with the math.

No comments: