Thursday, February 5, 2009

Disrespect and love

I have a student who is rude and talks too much. She failes math because she doesn''t listen - but you cannot listen when you are talking.

Today, as I tried to review for a quiz, she told the class that I have an attitude, that she is going to have people write letters on how I don't teach - I can't even remember all that she said. There is no argument for any of this and I meet with her mother next week. I don't know what I did to annoy her - but this has gone on way too long. I have written her up and she is always gleeful that she gets no punishment for it.

The good new that came out of this? Another girl asked to talk with me out in the hall. When I went out, she said "I did well at the beginning of the year. I am failing now. Is it where I sit? Am I not listening? Has the work gotten harder? All of the above?"

I told her she should be an A student. And I asked her where she sits. (Yes, I do know - next to the other girl.) I also pointed out I told them two weeks ago that teachers work harder to make the students pass the first semester. At this point, we feel they should know how to fix the problems.

I also told her these were adult questions.

We'll see where she sits tomorrow.

And in the next class, 4 of the kids spontaneously told me that I make the math make sense. I think I will listen to the first girl but hold the other comments close to my heart.

They will be letting a dozen teachers go - hopefully through attrition. I hate this.

No comments: