Sunday, May 6, 2012

Why is it

. . when you call to report a student's misbehavior, the parents always feel compelled to say something like "he really liked you in the beginning, but he complains now." Gee the math is getting harder, he isn't paying attention to me as much as his phone, he gets upset when I ask him to be quiet, and really peeved when he gets the grade he earned. I liked him better before, also.

. . . when you have too much to do for the time allotted, the administration suddenly gets a burst of energy to hold meetings or doesn't hire enough subs so that you have to lose your planning to babysit a basket weaving class?

. . . when it gets close to the end of the year, and their grades are in the basement, the students think they can pass by showing up for tutoring? When they won't listen when you go over the same things in class?

. . . that I am not surprised how my students behave when I call a parent to inform her that her child is failing and she answers the phone with "Why the f**k do you keep calling me?" BTW - I haven't called her before. I said in my coldest teacher voice, "This is Ricochet. Do you have a few moments to talk about your child? He/she is failing my class." Oops - she hadn't meant the comment for me. And he/she is failing because he hasn't been there to take a test, much less pass one.

No comments: