Sunday, May 10, 2009

So how do you reward them in order to get rigor?

I keep looking for things I can do to give them an incentive to think. As someone who wanted to know everything, I am baffled by those willing to stare at the wall rather than do something. I will buy that they have had poor instruction in the past, but I don't think I am giving poor instruction.

I cannot give them candy as a reward. I cannot afford much above that. It has been suggested that I give them library passes for doing the work. This strikes me as "do my work and I will give you a pass to do something completely unrelated to what I am teaching as a reward."

I figure fewer than 10% see getting a good grade as a reward. Most are content with a 70. It's passing, isn't it? No wiggle-room, but it's passing.

And if they are willing to do the absolute minimum, how do you get rigor?

1 comment:

Teacha said...

I'm wondering the same thing. My students have very little intrinsic motivation. One year, I threw a popcorn party/movie day for the class with the highest average every term. It worked. I bought a box of popcorn at sams ($5) and told them to bring their own drinks. Got a movie that is on the approved list. It worked. They love the competition. However, one of my classes really struggled with it all. They would give up. I was thinking maybe next year, I'd give some sort of pizza party for everyone who makes an "A" all year long or for the entire semester. My kids respond to food for some reason.