Saturday, May 30, 2009

Just learned that my 4th student this year has been expelled

They make stupid choices - and I don't know how to help them make better ones.

Another teacher, working on his EdS, was discussing how the most important factor in determining a student's success is their parents. *If anyone knows that study, please let me know.* OK, I can't change their parents. I can't change their choices. I have to learn to let go.

Darn!

My goals for next year:
1. Be more positive.
2. Be more clear in my expectations.
3. Raise the bar - whether they join me or not.
4. Help them learn to take better notes.
5. Take less STUFF to my room.

2 comments:

Teacha said...

These are good goals and very similar to my own. 1 & 2 & 4!!!!

However, what do you mean by "take less stuff to my room?"

Ricochet said...

I bring too much stuff (notebooks and books and supplies) to the classroom - and then I can't always find what I want. If I were better organized, I would be able to leave more at home and have a cleaner space.

And hopefully bring more stuff (as in ideas and strategies) to my lessons.