Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Poorly prepared in math?

Joanne Jacobs wrote an article about math teachers feeling ill prepared to teach. And the article referenced a book, Inequality for All: The Challenge of Unequal Opportunity in American Schools by William Schmidt and Curtis McKnight.

I read a little about the book in Scientific American and what struck me the most was he (don't know which one) was blaming the teachers.

He talked about moving from Michigan to Georgia and finding that the curricula do not align (duh) but somehow it was the teachers who were not prepared.

I want to read the whole book (should arrive in the next day or two, my local B&N never seems to have the book I want in the store. Maybe the articles are so short as to misrepresent what he says. More later.

I do know that we [Georgia] can't seem to follow any course long enough to develop decent resources.

No comments: