Saturday, July 4, 2009

What is the goal - the answer or the process?

I met with a friend yesterday and we got to talking about how things are done in her district. They use a computer based model but the kids keep toggling over to Wolfram to get the answer without having to work.

I know the students get the message that the answer is the goal (one of many reasons I don't like multiple choice tests). I tell them that we are teaching the process and, while we grade on the answer, the process is the key.

I had an opportunity to talk with a candidate for state school superintendent about standards based teaching. I hope I get another opportunity at some point. She was saying that parents are calling her to complain that it is too hard and takes too long to get an answer.

I told her that part of what I saw as the issue is the state wants everything done through investigation (student based instruction) but (particularly the students I had) they need teacher led lessons to explain the concepts before they can do the investigation.

We talked some about who took Algebra when we were coming through versus everyone getting it now. I think everyone can learn Algebra - but not the way the state is pushing it.

No comments: