Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Nightmare

Had a dream about the first day of school last night. I had gotten into my room (for the first time) about 5 minutes before students started arriving. I had no material copied for them. The room was an irregular trapezoid (instead of a rectangle) with a nice view out a window, a white board across 2 sides and a chalk board across another (in the back, behind the students). There was writing ALL over the white board.

So, I'm introducing myself and the class and I have NO ROOM to write notes because, while there are markers, there is no eraser in the room.

Can you say IMPROVISE?

3 comments:

Mr. W said...

geeze 1st day of school dreams already?

i have been there before. Mine usually start about a week before school starts. Oddly enough they still revolve around me not having pants on or missing some article of clothing. You would think by the time I became an adult those would have stopped.

Ricochet said...

We are going to a modified block for some classes. So at this point Ms. Control hasn't told us which classes will be block and which will be traditional. We don't know how many of which classes will be co-taught or how many of each class we'll be teaching. We don't know what resources (like copying) we'll have.

But, it's ok, we'll learn all of that when we return to school and sit in all of those meetings where, for 3 hours, they tell you not to lecture for more than 15 minutes.

I am amazed I don't have nightmares about teaching every night.

I'll be ok - but I like more information earlier.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Improvisation would definitely be called for in a situation like this!