Saturday, December 27, 2008

Seeing the truth

How do you get them to see the truth when they've been lied to in the past?

According to the state's policies, you cannot be promoted in middle school if you fail two classes and you cannot go onto high school if you fail the standardized test given at the end of the year. All of my students have failed the standardized test (that's why they are in my class) , 50% failed one class and 40% (of the total) failed 2 or more. I have students who failed all of their classes last year, and the year before that, and the year before that . . . .

So, here we are in high school telling them if they fail a course for the semester, they will need to repeat that semester. Am I surprised that they don't believe us? Not really, but I do point out (at least weekly) that in high school, we will let you take a course however many times you want to take it - until you pass it. And if you hated it the first time through, it doesn't get more interesting the second (or third) time.

Add the grade recovery policy, and I cannot get them to understand that time is running out. I build in graded items to help them learn the material (keeping a journal where I write instructions on the board that they are to copy, daily warm ups that are collected biweekly for a quiz grade, etc.) AND raise their grade - but a certain contingent refuses to do this. I think if I look, they are they ones who failed 3 or more classes.

Some learn by observing others, some learn by listening, and some, after reading the WET PAINT sign, just have to test it.

No comments: