Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Another teacher in the crosshairs

One of the teachers in my school is finding himself in the crosshairs of the administration. Obviously, you don't sit in each other's classrooms to see how someone teaches, but you hear people talk about their philosphies and what they do for their students. This is someone who knows the material - and really cares about the kids - cares enough to se the bar high and help them achieve it. This teacher has some of my non-achievers from last year - and I will talk about them more later. They don't want to learn the material. They don't even want As. They want a 70 with no work, leave me alone, let me talk to my friends and DON'T BOTHER ME.

The teacher has been told he will be held accountable for their grades, he cannot set a limit of the number of times they do grade recovery and cannot set a deadline for any grade recovery.

I see him shutting down and fear he will be looking for a position in another district come spring. What a waste.

The administrators do not feel that we are training the kids for the future. I have heard them say what happens to these kids after they graduate is not my (the administrator's) problem. I believe I am training my students for the future, not for the next test. What a disconnect.

No comments: