Saturday, January 5, 2013

Six Word Saturday



Your viewpoint is really your viewpoint.



For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

Kids come back Monday. Most who need to do something to pass have not. I have already started getting the excuses and was ready to list them hear and bitch and moan about how horrid my life is, how hard I work, how under-appreciated I am.

But I am not going to.

These kids are going to keep making these choices, enabled by their parents. They may or may not get enabled by me, depending on whether or not I want to continue to cripple them. Or I may decide to suck it up and help them to be responsible - the question being am I willing to take the heat.

But I have to quit whining about this.

I read a column by Martha Beck last week and remembered how much she can inspire me - so I made a link to her columns one of the items on my dashboard and have made a resolution to read one of her columns every time I start getting unfocused.

If you haven't read anything by her, you should give it a try.

Happy new year!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great post.... whining about things does not change them... not to say that we don't all do it!!

Students have the capability to make their own choices.... to succeed or to fail.... only problem is that some of them are going through so much in their 'home' life that success is just not an option and sometimes a great teacher can make all the difference in the world!

A great insight into that is Hidden Truths... if you're interested I'd be happy to send you a copy

Mlissabeth said...

I hope this helps you. A quick glance looks really inspirational. Thanks for posting.

My 6ws is here: http://mlissabeth.wordpress.com/2013/01/05/six-word-saturday15/

retired not tired said...

Changing habits that are formed early are hard. Letting people suffer their own consequences is a way to learn the hard way.

21 Wits said...

Cool, love the honesty! Hopefully they will get it together. I'll have to check out Martha! Thanks!

HeY J said...

here's wishing you a productive week, it is tough job. being a child in foster care thru high school there were certain teachers that weren't EVER going to let me just fade into the desk they worked my butt off and let me know about "EARNING" the grade and that applies to us even as adults. great sws :]

Lizze said...

I'm lucky enough that my boys aren't old enough to have not reached this point in school yet. I know that it is likely coming. I also remember when I was a teenager and my parents finally made the decision to allow me to either stand on my own two feet or fall flat on my face by my own actions. It was one of the most difficult times of my teen years but I am grateful for it now. I'll be thinking of you.