Saturday, July 9, 2011

Six Word Saturday



Hold teachers to a higher standard.



For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

This has been the week where Atlanta became - once again - the butt of America's jokes - in this case because Atlanta Public School was finally outed and over 100 educators have confessed to changing standardized test scores so that it looked like the schools were improving. I am not providing a link as there are literally thousands.

I understand being afraid of losing your job, but I do not understand selling your soul in order to keep the job.

But I digress.

I spent the week wrapping up a summer school class. Everyone had to do a PowerPoint presentation (because it was easier for the teacher to grade than a paper, I guess. Sitting through 2 dozen PowerPoints was torment.)

I am not a big fan of PowerPoints.

But I digress.

Everyone of these students was also a teacher and had at least a bachelor's degree. While no one owned up to teaching Language Arts, several talked about teaching reading.

I am so tired of the misuse of your and you're, of its and it's, there and they're and their. If the teachers would do this in a class, for a grade, in front of their peers, you know they misuse those same words when they teach.

No wonder the kids misuse the words. THEY WERE NEVER TAUGHT CORRECTLY.

I know every blogger, myself included, flubs while we write passionately about something. (I have corrected this 3 times now. But I corrected it!) But surely you take extra care when it is a class you are taking and presenting? For a grade. In front of other (theoretically) educated people?

One talked about "a families economic situation." Really?

No wonder the teachers in APS felt they had to lie and cheat. And, no, none of the teachers I am ridiculing were from APS.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have such huge respect for anyone who takes on a teaching role, because I believe it is one of the hardest jobs.

At the same time I trust my children to these teachers with the belief that they will teach them what they need to learn

My son has a teacher whose writing and grammar is that atrocious that the students can't even read what has been written on the board - I know that if I can't do a part of my job that I would be out the door, so where is the regulation on things like this with teachers?

Thanks for sharing I found your post very interesting

Kasi said...

I hate standard test...I think teachers should be able to actually teach instead of having to just prepare for test. BUT that's just my thoughts...(Found your blog from Six Word Saturday)

ChiTown Girl said...

I'm so with you on this one!!! Sometimes I wonder how the hell some of the people I work with got out of high school, let alone graduated from college!!

Pissedoffteacher said...

I cringe at grammatical mistakes, especially when they are mine.

Years ago, when I got my license, writing and speaking were part of the exam. You would never know this now by the caliber of teachers I see, even in my good school where teacher recruitment is not a problem.

annies home said...

teaching is a hard job and I so respect them for their choice in profession. I also agree with holding them to a higher standard come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I shared

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

I too hate PowerPoint. Hate using it; hate watching it.

As for grammar and spelling errors, I would really get upset when they were made on materials sent to the parents. Yet, it happened all the time. I was a maniac about such things for the nine years I did the yearbook, obsessing about spelling of names and writing correctly. I hear from my colleagues that this year's book, the first since I retired, was littered with spelling and grammar errors. The comment made to me was that the new teacher did not make the kids correct anything. Aaack.

Becca said...

Standard tests are awful. They only show which kids are good test takers. Too much time and money is being put into them!