Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Last complaining post

Which will not be the last post, but I am tired of feeling so negative, so I am going to vent it all and, since summer starts today, find a new reality before school starts again.

We still do not know what we are teaching in the fall. EVERY OTHER HIGH SCHOOL IN THIS DISTRICT TOLD THEIR TEACHERS 3 WEEKS AGO BUT THE ADMIN WHO HAS BEEN DOING SCHEDULING FOR 10 YEARS CANNOT GET THE ACT TOGETHER ENOUGH TO TELL US.

(Yes, that was caps on purpose)

The communication, prior planning, organization and consistency is non-existent with this administration. A coworker said "We were micro managed. Now we are not managed. I'd rather be micromanaged as there is no misunderstanding."

I cannot figure out if I am jealous or being played - or both. I hate being ignored - but realized a couple of weeks ago that I really do not fit in my department (most are not much older than my children and that matters to them). So, they ask for help when they need it and forget I exist when they talk about going out to lunch. OK. They are not my friends of choice either - and I do have friends at the school.

The principal said 6 months ago "I will be calling people down to talk. You shouldn't worry if I do - you should be worried if I don't." He never called. He palmed me off on every Tom, Dick, and Harry every time I tried to meet with him about something only he could help with and was important to me.

I finally figured out a solution on my own and got approval from the district.

I have had faux admins come in to lecture me about how I needed to teach like other people because they got such great results. I asked if they knew my results on the same test. (It was the same score as the one being held up as the star). So FA told the principal I cannot teach math - and I get ignored some more.

The new kid - great at patting herself on the back - has been given all the new advanced classes. That pissed off a couple of the other mathies. I was expecting it.

OK. Enough. Life sucks. They neither like nor appreciate me. Boo Hoo.

I went into teaching to make a difference with students at risk, not with PhDs who do not know basic grammar. I know I will get the low levels, the repeaters, but I also know I will make a difference there and keep some in school. (My last statistics were awful but they are better if you realize the numbers who dropped out under another teacher's class or the ones who could not pass the graduation test and refused to do things that would have helped them.

As Scarlet said, Tomorrow is another day - and I will rise up singing and put this CRAP behind me. They do not see what I can do - they see that great invisible person - a middle aged woman. Well, I am woman, hear me roar. And watch me follow my own path - I do not need yours.

So come back tomorrow and let's solve the world's problems.

No comments: