Sunday, March 13, 2011

Anger in my dreams

My personal life was tough last week. Nothing like Japan, and I feel guilty saying it, but I live in me and not in Japan.

I dreamt last night that a student asked for work to raise her grade. I gave it to her and then explained the work. Then she said (in a tone several are adopting this year) "Well, as long as you realize this is YOUR fault...." and I lost it and chewed her out.

The students in 1.5 classes do not stop talking, will not write anything down (even when I say "write this down"), will not practice the work by doing classwork. And they are not passing.

I am revoltingly predictable. If you copy the notes and review, work the problems and ask questions, there are no surprises on the tests.

Otherwise - well, it is Algebra 2 and not easy.

The dream continued - or segued - into one with another teacher. (The art teacher was teaching a cooking class and my desk was in the same room, and there were a bunch of naked Barbies on the desk.....) but the important part was that the kids were just as clueless and disrespectful.

Odd.

I accepted needs improvement on my evaluation last week because I am tired of telling them the same things and didn't want the sarcastic putdowns I would get. The NIs should have been seen for what they were - the failure of Funsicker to do anything approaching a professional job. Apparently, this year she is not trying to take over my class, just screw me over.

I don't mind being dinged for things that are my fault. It pisses me off to accept things that are not.

But, I think it just means I have the NIs and I am done with being evaluated by him, - and that tradeoff I can live with.

2 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

I completely agree with you regarding the NIs. The exact same thing happens here to us. It's hard to change/improve some things without the help/cooperation of the administration. But, as usual, they accept no responsibility for anything.

A Phillie Teacher said...

Of course they don't accept responsibility for anything: that's what teachers are for.

:/

I can't tell you how many times I wished that teachers could hand their admins a feedback checklist. I can tell you that my principal would be in hot water if the teachers in her building got the chance to comment on her performance.