Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Seeing the Future

I was reading a local blog when another teacher made a comment that people objected to. She said something about knowing her students are future felons. Non-teachers felt this was unfair.

Since coming to the school I teach in, I have made predictions (to myself) about future incarcerations. This year, one of them came true.

I never would have said anything to the boy at the time I taught him, but his arrest for felony assault and unlawful entry came as no surprise.

There are some from each year that I wait to read about in the paper.

One of the boys from my high school days, well liked, well raised, most likely to succeed type, spent 20 years in prison for murder. Some things are not predictable.

3 comments:

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I don't consider it unfair to predict. When you spend eight hours a day with someone in a classroom for 180 days, you have a pretty good insight into their behavior, don't you think?

I could tell in first grade who was going to be "trouble". They started early and never changed.

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but they are rare.

I'm loving your blog!

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

I have said, and will be saying at our luncheon today, that after 21 years in the hallways of our school, I am ready for anything, anywhere. If I can survive these hallways, the streets of San Francisco will be easy.

Teacha said...

You are with these kids more than their parents. You talk to them. So, I might even you some of them better than their parents.

Personally, I wouldn't judge someone who said this about a student. The reality is that some of them will end up in prison (especially in an urban area) and what they do in high school is simply PRACTICE for life outside of school.