Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Reasonable Doubt

Third post about the tragedy here in Marietta.

Hubby said something yesterday about finding a jury, that the media has convicted the parents on the front page and they couldn't get a jury. Actually, I do have reasonable doubt, based on two books I read probably 30 years apart. A Rip In Heaven by Jeanine Cummins tells the story of two sisters, Robin and Julie Kerry, and their cousin Tom Cummins, Jeanine's brother. The three cousins were on a bridge over the Mississippi when they were attacked by 4 young men, The girls died, Tom got away and was then arrested by the police who did not believe his story.

In The Dingo Baby Case Lindy Chamberlain was found guilty and served time because the police and community thought she responded in too cold a manner to the disappearance and assumed death of her baby, Azaria. It was Lindy's faith that Azaria had gone to a better place that led to an early calm acceptance.

So, do I think the police make mistakes? Yes. Do I think people as a whole jump to easy, wrong conclusions? Yes. Do I believe that outward appearances tell us everything? No. Could I go in and base my opinion on what they can prove? I hope so.

No comments: