Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Why I can't write your recommendation

A student asked for a recommendation for a job in law enforcement after high school. It could even be the truth, truth not being something this student is real familiar with. (So far this year she has had a baby - who doesn't exist, cancer, a dozen siblings - who also don't exit, been accepted in college, gotten scholarships, whatever).

I had found a way to write it and not address the veracity issue.

Then she pulled an incredible stunt - multiple times, including me in one (but I don't think she knows I know) - where she violated so many moral and ethical points, threatening someone's teaching certificate with lies. Luckily, her lies are provable as lies.

So, I never gave her the recommendation I wrote.

And she never asked about it.

A couple of weeks ago she asked me to write another. In the meantime, she had pulled her phone out in class several times, loudly calling attention to the fact she had her phone out.

So, referencing the phone. I told her I couldn't write one.

Now, she acts as if I do not exist. Boy, does that ever work well for me.

Summer cannot get here soon enough.

No comments: